Botanic name: Cucurbita pepo
Health Benefits of Spagetti Squash
Spaghetti Squash is low in calories, fats, and carbohydrates yet is high in fibre.
Spaghetti Squash is a must for sensible eating plans.
The mildly flavoured flesh can be scored with a fork to produce pasta-like tendrils that are added to bulk up sweet or savoury dishes.
Spaghetti Squash Growing Information
Plant in a sunny position, well after the threat of frost.
Plant 0.9-1.5m apart.
Spaghetti Squash is ready to harvest in late summer when the skin has turned a dark yellow and is thick and hard with no soft spots.
Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Spaghetti Squash with Parmesan Cheese
- Use a paring knife to prick 1 medium squash all over.
- Place in a baking dish and bake 1 hour or until soft.
- Cut squash in half. Scoop out and discard seeds.
- Using a fork, scrape flesh in strings into a serving bowl.
- Toss with ½ cup of grated Parmesan and some butter and season to taste with salt and pepper.