Botanic name: Brassica oleracea var. italica
Health Benefits of Purple Broccoli
Purple vegetables such as Purple Broccoli are rich in anthocyanins, an antioxidant compound reported to aid the improvement of memory, protect against heart attacks, enhance vision and act as anti-inflammatories.
Added to this there are many photo-nutrients, vitamins and minerals found in broccoli.
A good source of folic acid.
Purple Broccoli Growing Information
Plant Purple Broccoli into rich, fertile soil that drains well.
Feed with liquid fertiliser to accelerate growth.
Purple Broccoli Recipe
- Boil salted water in a large saucepan and plunge in 450grams Broccoli Purple.
- With the lid on quickly bring back to the boil, then remove lid and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly. Meanwhile heat 2 tbsp sesame oil and 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a frypan over medium heat.
- Fry 5 Garlic gloves that have been peeled and sliced thinly until golden.
- Throw in the broccoli and fry for 2-3 minutes, tossing frequently.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with sesame seeds.