Botanic name: Ipomoea batatas
Health Benefits of Purple Sweet Potato
Sweet Potato is rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fibre, beta-carotene, vitamins A, C and B6, K, A and C, magnesium, potassium, protein, iron and calcium.
Why not try these as a healthy alternative to the less nutritional and fattening normal Potato?
Purple Sweet Potato Growing Information
Sweet Potato do well in a warm climate, sandy, well-drained soils and full sun.
Plant on mounds or in raised beds if drainage is a problem.
Avoid high nitrogen fertilisers and give plants plenty of room to spread out.
Purple Sweet Potato Recipe
Baked Sweet Potato Purple
- Place 3 Purple Sweet Potatoes (peeled and cubed) in a large stock pot with boiling water and boil until fork tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer.
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC.
- Add ¼ cup Coconut milk, 2 tbsp Lemon juice,2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp Honey, and 1 tsp Cinnamon and mash using your stand mixer or a hand mixer.
- Beat your potatoes until no lumps remain.
- Fold in ½ cup fresh Blueberries and mix by hand and then transfer your Sweet Potato mixture to 4 small ramekins and sprinkle ¼ cup Pecans on top.
- Place your ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until your Pecans are toasted, NOT BLACK.
- Garnish with a scoop of refrigerated Coconut milk and serve.